2005-02-18

Of Bibliopegy And Bibliopolery

This semester has created than they usual amount of frustrations in the book-buying process.

First, my James Joyce course uses a specific version of Ulysses that is not the one that I purchased last spring. The version of Ulysses that Prof. Begam has assigned has some very clear advantages over other editions: It includes some five thousand errors; some are simply periods in places of commas, but other amendments include the reintroduction of sentences lost in the typesetting process. Comparing the two texts that I now own, I'm certain that the assigned edition is far superior as far as the text is concerned. As a book, however, "The Gabler Edition" is lacking. It's only available in paperback, and the quality of the binding is abysmal. I had to exchange my first copy after a single week's use. The book also has some major formatting issues that I think are intended to save space (and thus pages), but it's rather frustrating to have such a wonderful text presented in such an inglorious manner.

Second, Narciso assigned for Post-Colonial Architecture books from the middle of the twentieth-century, most of which are long out of print. One of the books was available at a reasonable price and in a very acceptable condition from an Amazon.com zShop. The book came a couple weeks ago, and I was slightly dismayed to find some highlighting inside, but I wasn't sufficiently frustrated to take action. Amazon.com, however, reminded me yesterday to rate my seller. I gave my_favorite_books 3 out of 5 and figured that that would be the end of it. Not so. I received the following email this morning while I was at class:
Concerning your order for the subject book, you posted the following
feedback:

"3 out of 5: Book arrived promptly, but it was in slightly poorer condition than advertised."

Our description of the book was "Firm tight binding, no spine creases. No highlighting or markings. Light shelf & handling wear. Prompt shipment. Satisfaction guaranteed."

We attempt to describe the condition of each book we list for sale as accurately as possible but we are not immune from errors or unintentional omissions. We state "satisfaction guaranteed" for all books that we sell. Your rating and comment indicates that you were not satisfied. Please accept our sincerest apology and advise us as to how the book should have been described and what action we can take to satisfy you.

Sincerely yours,

Mac Black
My Favorite Books
Lake Forest, California
After lunch I explained my discontent:
Dear Mr. Black,

The book I received, contrary to the description given, had extensive highlighting in the final chapters. I can easily imagine how someone thumbing through the pages may have searched the majority of the book but missed the critical pages; it is an understandable error. If you are sincere in your guarantee of satisfaction, I will gladly except a small refund. Perhaps the $3.49 I paid for shipping would be appropriate. I am grateful for and impressed by your concern regarding this matter. This courtesy will not be forgotten.

Sincerely,

James Lucas Hepokoski
I was credited $3.49 by the end of the business day. That's good service. I will be shopping with My Favorite Books again.

1 comment:

H James Lucas said...

Amazon.com won't let you change your rating, but you may delete it, and I did.

+