2005-02-08

The Classics

Professor Cahill teaches my course in ancient and medieval art. In the interest of getting us well versed in "the classics," he requested that we go see The General, a silent film starring Buster Keaton that was showing at the Overture Center this evening. A vague suggestion that there would be an extra credit question on the upcoming exam regarding the film was enough to convince me. Besides, a three dollars ticket for the film (accompanied by distinguished organist R. Jelani Eddington) plus a vaudeville-type show before hand was too good a deal to pass up. Apparently this evening was one in a series called Duck Soup Cinema (presumably named after the Marx Bros. film), but it's unfortunately the only one of the semester. I say unfortunately because I laughed 'til I cried during the film, and the variety hour before hand wasn't half bad. I took with me Highlander sixth-floor resident Sarah (with whom I attended the Badger football games) since I knew she liked the Marx Bros, and as I predicted, she enjoyed the evening as much as I did. Highlights included a woman going by name Olive with the (supposedly French) last name of d'Lique, a juggler named Truly Remarkable Loon, and just about everything Buster Keaton did.

No comments:

+