2004-09-18

Trouble in Chicago

I went to get my hair cut today, and the cheap place closed at noon, so I went to a nicer place that is actually much closer. I believe it was called "Nogginz," and I'm not sure if it's a chain or a single store. I had a half hour wait, but my chair was very comfortable and the magazines were new. I finally got called by a heavily tattooed and pierced young woman. After we established how I wanted my hair (an exchange which made me feel very ignorant), I tried to make small talk with her. I found out that she had been living in Seattle during 2003, but hated it because "all the people were so stupid." Seeking more along that vein, I learned that she had lived in Chicago briefly before that and loved it. I asked her why she left, and she said she got into too much trouble there. "Trouble?" I asked. "Yeah. If I stayed I'd probably be dead with a needle in my arm," she answered matter-of-factly. "Ah," I replied.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate to see the haircut she gave you after that story! Thank God it grows back!

H James Lucas said...

Actually, I was surprised that I got the hairstylist that I did, but only because a guy ahead of me in the order was waiting for her specifically, which I expected to keep her occupied. As far as the impression that tattoos make on me, I think a hairstylist would have the least to loose or perhaps even the most to gain from them. They seem like an unabashed expression of oneself (exempting random Chinese characters high school girls get), and that's the kind of person I want cutting my hair. Major tattoos do not seem appropriate for all occupations though; I specifically don't like my waiters/waitresses to visible tattoos. But if the hairstylists of the world want to get tattoos, more power to them.

Kassandra didn't ask, but I'm more open about piercing. I don't mind if my waiters have plugs or my waitresses have industrials, and I certainly don't mind if my hairstylist does. I do mind eyebrow rings. That's my big piercing pet peeve. But if people want plugs, studs, orbitals, industrials, or whatever, I won't hold it against them in the least.

+