2004-09-30

Hydration

The City of Madison has been flushing all of the hydrants over the past few days. While I'm glad to see that fire safety is a priority, it has been quite trying at times. Our water has been repeatedly turned brown as the process stirs up mineral deposits in the water mains. At home in Maple Grove, we were usually affected for a single afternoon each year. Here, for whatever reason, hydrants near us have been flushed over the course of the work-week. This morning was particularly bad, as the problem compounded with our normal water-related vexations of rather warm "cold" water in the kitchen sink and rather cool "hot" water in the bathroom sink. Ultimately I ended up wandering around in my bathrobe while running the shower and both sinks to get clear water of the appropriate temperature in each one. It really made me feel appreciate living in a place where I have enough water to cook, clean, and drink, and made me feel a little guilty about being picky about the mineral content and temperature. I've been doing a little reading at The Water Page. It's an interesting, although often sad topic.

No comments:

+