2007-09-15

On still water

When I went through the orientation process on the Friday before class started, I was accosted by some orange-shirted workers who were distraught that no one in A-F (and so far no one in G-K) had signed up for the Picnic in Little Venice. They were so adamant that the trip would be great, I forked over my £5 deposit without asking any questions. I got an email confirming my reservation and giving me instructions to come to Warwick Avenue station with a camera and a beverage, but beyond that I was pretty much riding into the unknown when I boarded the northbound Bakerloo line train this morning.

Boy was I in for a treat. My £5 note was returned to me upon arrival (meaning my participation cost nothing above the fixed program fee), and I had a chance to meet a number of students and SU employees including Brian Nocella, the special projects coordinator and Christopher Cook, a communications professor leading the excursion. We started out with a walking tour of Little Venice, the area of London surrounding the junction of the Grand Union and Regent's Canals. The canals (like most canals, I think) were nothing beautiful on their own, but the eclectic mix of houseboats mored on both sides, the large white quasi-neoclassical houses surrounding them, and the quaint bridges spaced every quarter-mile or so made the whole place rather charming. Christopher's charm was even greater, and he gave us a general history that was both informative and light enough to be enjoyed as we took in the sunshine and fresh breeze.

After an hour's wandering, we settled in at a park for a homemade picnic lunch, prepared by Christopher himself. I was apparently the only one who heeded the email and brought my own drink, a bottle of Biddenden sweet strong Kentish cider I bought Friday at Borough Market, so I had the chance to sit and talk with Christopher and Linda, the trip organizer, while Brian shuttled everyone away to buy a drink from someplace in the vicinity. Lunch, it turned out, was poached salmon, steamed asparagus, and a herbed mayonnaise that added a welcome saltiness to both dishes. We followed up with a raspberry jam tart with a shortbread crust, also by the good professor. All was delicious.

Full, we piled into a boat run by the London Waterbus Co. and headed up the canal (up being relative since there is no current) toward Camden. We were dropped off right in Camden market, which, although daunting at first, turned out to be easily navigable, and a rather cool place despite the general kitschiness of the merchandise. I was partly pleasantly reminded of the Minnesota Renaissance Festival, and partly longing for the craftsmanship of the Minneapois Uptown Art Fair. An hour of wandering ended with icecream at Marine Ices, where I tried the Knickerbocker Glory I've wanted since reading of Dudley Dursley's in the first Harry Potter volume nine years ago. Truthfully, I didn't trust it completely, and I had chocolate icecream swapped for vanilla, but I think I got the general idea of it anyway.

The tour done, I hopped on the Northern line headed south and to home.

No comments:

+