2004-11-07

الأم ميشيل

Mike's mom was in town this weekend, and she was so extraordinarily kind as to take the two of us out for dinner both this evening and last. Perhaps even more delightful was the fact that they let me choose the restaurants. Last night I selected King of Falafel, an Arabic restaurant just a few blocks down the road from the Highlander. I think we were all very pleased with the food, and shocked at how reasonable the price was. I had a fabulous bean soup and lamb on a bed of gently seasoned rice. We shared falafels and humus as an appetizer, and Mike and I both finished with decent baklava.

This evening we went to a slightly fancier place called Cafe Continental. The place was quite busy, but their schedule had left a table empty for 90 minutes, so they admitted us directly. This restaurant, too, proved to make for a very enjoyable dining experience. I started with the best cream of mushroom soup I've ever had, and moved on to a rather interesting dish from their specials of the day, which included thin pieces of steak wrapped around a soft cheese, breaded, skewered, and fried. It was served with sliced tomato and fresh mozzarella. The menu was reasonably interesting, and the ambiance was most pleasant, being neither too loud nor too dark.

No comments:

+