2004-11-19

75¢

The city of Madison, like most major cities, has a significant homeless population. I'm glad that some charitable organizations and our campus paper, The Daily Cardinal are currently calling attention this fact. The primary goal seems to be the establishment a new shelter, since the current one is unable to help all those that need it. I support this effort, and were I a resident I would gladly vote for it should it come up as a referendum.

That said, I was a little thrown this evening by my encounter with one homeless man on State Street. On our way to the Towers for dinner, Mike and I were asked for change by a man of about 30, but I was laughing at something or another that Mike had just said and wasn't able to respond. Feeling a bit guilty about it, I decided I'd bring him a piece of fresh fruit from dinner. When Marget and I were together, she would often give homeless people fruit since its a nutritious food needing no preparation, and that habit hers was one of those I greatly admired and appreciated. So I grabbed an apple and a napkin as I headed out the door, and kept my eyes peeled for the guy. I spotted him about 10 meters in front of me, but just as I got close to him, another man approached him and asked for 75 cents. The beggar to whom I was intending to give the apple pulled out several dollars worth of quarters and gave the other man three coins. I had passed him by another 10 meters before they parted ways, and I would have felt weird doubling back. I don't really know what to make of the whole thing, but I'll take the apple along with me tomorrow. Unfortunately, there is no shortage of people who could use it.

No comments:

+