2004-11-08

East Sjælland Island

I attended a performance of Michael Frayn's Copenhagen this afternoon at the Overture Center, a relatively new addition to State Street and a very impressive performance arts facility. The cast of three was well chosen, and the minimalist set design (three chairs) was quite effective. I felt that the play was a bit slow and its repetition of the "key" scene worked better some times than others. This interesting formula certainly made the play seem fresh as a whole, but caused me to feel that the end had arrived numerous times before it actually did. Perhaps the only story with more false endings is Stephen Speilberg's film A.I., which I also enjoyed, actually in a similar way. I was impressed with the playwrite's bold use of Heisenberg's uncertainly principal; he wove a general explaination of it into the dialog in a way that I feel demanded the audience to keep on their toes. All in all, it was a play I'm glad I saw once but would not choose to see again.

No comments:

+