2004-05-08

Level Zero

The elevator has served as a source of great amusement for me over the year. My basic theory about the Langdon is that if one examines floors 1-4 and 5-7 separately, they will find a 10-point gap in the average IQ. Perhaps it's around 98 in the lower floors and 108 in the upper floors. As a result, once an ascending elevator reaches 5, its generally safe to gently poke fun at the people who've already exited, assuming that they deserve it, of course. On Thursday night, the night of the Friends finale, some third-floor girls were talking about how many people would be watching the show.
--"A billion?" they wondered. "A trillion?" Then a look of confusion settled on their brows.
--"Wait...are there even a trillion people on Earth?" They looked at one and other. No answer.
--I decided to help out. "The earth's pop[ulation] is about six and a half bil[lion]," I noted, trying to be casual. They looked impressed. After a moment to process the information, the hypothesizing began anew.
--"So, I guess that means maybe two or three billion." I decided more help was necessary.
--"Don't forget that a third of the world is asleep, because of different time zones," I added. The looked at each other and giggled.
--"You've really thought this out, haven't you!" one exclaimed. I smiled, but was spared from replying as the doors opened at that moment and they danced out.

No comments:

+