2005-05-08

Back From The Windy City

I'm back from my thirty-hour trip to Chicago. After the show I caught the Blue Line to Washington, then transferred to the Red Line, which I took to 47th, where I took the #15 Bus to Hyde Park. It was an interesting trip, taking me through a variety of socio-economic regions. The neighborhood where the Congress is located isn't great, and I was glad to be amid a stream of departing concert-goers. I'm pretty comfortable on the trains, but the bus was a pretty intimidating place. I was the only white face of twenty or so people, and I was essential unable to understand the other passengers because of their South Side dialect. Eric, fortunately, had given me very good instructions to his place, and I got there without incident or even having to pause to get my bearings.

It was good to see Eric again, and I took him to a diner for breakfast this morning to repay him for the use of his couch and the hours of sleep I cost him. We said our goodbyes, and I caught the #15 to the Green Line, which I took up to the Loop. I met my freshman-year roommate Kyle and his long-time girlfriend Megan in Millennium Park. We spent our time together wandering through the starting grounds of an impressively-sized Polish independence parade, visiting the Shedd Aquarium, and eating stuffed pizza at my usual Giordano's.

My bus ride on Friday had been late due to a combination of the time needed to load a wheelchair-bound passenger and serious congestion in the Chicago area, but the return trip was quiet and speedy. Amanda and Leah, the two RAs on my floor, greeted me as soon as I walked in the door, asking how the concert went, and it felt good to be back.

No comments:

+