2007-11-24

Football

I went to my first ever football match, which is probably also one of less than a dozen sporting events I've attended. The teams were Queens Park Rangers and Sheffield Wednesday. The Rangers (or Rs, as the fans called them) were the home team, and most of those in attendance were supporting them. Wednesday was hailing from over a hundred miles north, but a significant and very vocal following made the three-hour trip for the game. I supported Wednesday, in part because they had the one American player in the match, and in part because I wanted to wear my orange hoodie.

The game ended with the score that American-football fans so hate: 0–0, but it was an exciting game anyway. I felt like Sheffield was dominating the field, but I would have put more trust in the QPR goalie. The Rs did manage to get a ball into the net once, but the goal was discounted due to a player being off-sides (whatever that means). I couldn't really keep up with all the reasons behind the numerous kicks and throw-ins, but it didn't matter. My chosen favorite, no. 20, Frank Simek of Missouri, made a couple of impressive tackles, and the Wednesday fans sang almost continuously. Oddly enough, the QPR fans who comprised the majority of spectators seemed very passive, staying seated and quiet. I think I would find it hard to play home games and have my opponents fans cheering loudly, but I don't think QPR has any stellar record, so maybe their players are no different.

No comments:

+