2007-03-11

Small request

My flight from Syracuse to Detroit was delayed because our plane arrived at Syracuse quite late. We didn't get airborne until an hour or so after our scheduled departure time, so I knew that my connection would be very tight, and probably impossible. I didn't let myself worry, and spent as much of the flight as possible sound asleep. Around the time the plane started to descend and we were asked to take our seats, the gentleman next to me in seat 10-E pressed the call button, and a flight attendant came to our row. He noted that the flight was getting in rather late, and he requested that the flight attendant call ahead to Detroit, to let them know that we were getting in a bit late. She assured him that the Detroit terminal was already aware of our status, but he wasn't satisfied. He suggested that she call them to make sure that they hold the planes for a few more minutes. She looked at him blankly for a couple seconds, before murmuring that those decisions would already have been made and slipping away, back towards first class. I was half tempted to tell the bloke that I didn't think anyone would hold a plane for someone who was sitting in the middle seat in coach, but I held my tongue.

Sure enough, I missed my flight and was delayed two hours. I coaxed Northwest into printing off a couple food vouchers, which I blew on a weak margarita. I can't complain, though: even with the delays, commercial flight is still fastest way across the continent in, you know, history.

No comments:

+