2006-02-01

$1.012907 In Change

Class was starting, and Aaron (our professor) and I were still in line for food, so he gave me some cash to pay for his meal while he went upstairs to start the session. His total came to $5.01, and I didn't have a penny, so dished out what looked like 99 cents in change. Interestingly enough, among the pennies was not only a Canadian penny (which are not that uncommon this close to the border) but a two-cent Euro coin, which is the same size and color as an American penny. I didn't want to burden the professor with change, so I gave him two paper ones. Calculating my total when I got home, I discovered that I actually came out ahead, since the strong Euro more than made up for the weak Canadian dollar. Of course this assumes that I someday get to use the Euro cent.

1 comment:

H James Lucas said...

As long as vending machines take nickels, their usefulness will be secure. It does seem silly, though, for the EU to be minting such coins. Maybe if they take the initiative to cease, change can occur here, too (if you'll pardon the pun).

+