2007-02-25

When running on full is more like running on empty

Last night I brought to the computer lab Iaroslav, an 80GB LaCie which was the first of my line of external hard drives and houses my photograph archive, including a couple photos I needed but were not on Saint Gleb, which, as my newest 250GB addition, houses most of my current work. Theo, a fellow Minnesotan in this Masters program, asked me why I needed two. I told him that my archives exceeded the size of either disk, and he seemed a bit dubious, having been able to get his work from many years onto a portion of a comparably sized disk.  To make sure that I wasn't deluding myself, I checked Saint Gleb's remaining free space, and unpleasantly surprised to discover that I was down to my last 550MB. A quick trip to Amazon.com became essential, so I'm expecting another pair of 250 gigabyters within the week.

All my hard drives are named after the children of Vladislav I, ruler of Kievan Rus. Iaroslav and Mstislav came first.  Saint Boris and Saint Gleb made the second pairing. I think these two will be Stanislav and Sudislav, since I'm not quite prepared to honor Sviatopolk.  Maybe these two will be the last of this family.

2 comments:

Eric Allix Rogers said...

Heh, maybe I should come up with a coherent naming scheme. So far, my internal hard drives are named Jesus (in the laptop after it got a 40-day uptime), Squid (in the Mini because it looks like a squid with all the tentacles coming out of the back), and the externals are SizeMatters (my older 250g hard drive, used for movies and such) and Darth (newer 250g drive that looks like Darth Vader). It's an odd family.

Hep said...

I think you are wise to avoid Sviatopolk. It would likely have the other devices assasinated.

+