2006-11-21

The best of both worlds

I switched to Internet Explorer 7 tonight, and it's very promising thus far. I'd been giving Firefox a second chance this past month, but I found it to be as buggy and crash-prone as it was two years ago when I first tried it. Microsoft, as usual, seems to have done a very good job of incorporating the best ideas of their more creative competitors into a useful package. It's good to have tabs and stability. It even seems to be able to handle AJAX as well as Firefox can. Mozilla's got nothin' on it now!

3 comments:

H James Lucas said...

Jon, you obviously know way more about this from the programming side, but I can tell you as a largely uninformed end-user that Firefox does crash frequently for myself and many other equally-uniformed users I know and I can also tell you that IE7 can handle lots of things that IE6 cannot. A good example can be found in the Cross-O Change-O on Wei-Hwa's Puzzle Gadget. I've been led to believe this is using AJAX, but once again, I'll take your word on it if you say it isn't.

I'll probably never go back to Firefox as long as the IE version of Google Toolbar remains richer in features, but I would still be interested in any tips that would prevent Firefox from crashing. I've tried it a number of times on multiple computers, and I've always had the issue.

Kyle said...

What version of Firefox do you use that crashes? I downloaded the new 2.0, and I love it! I am using it right now.

I would implore you to use IE7 for a while, and then download the latest version of Firefox 2.0, and give it another chance. I know that since I have switched, I haven't gone back.

H James Lucas said...

Yes, I was using 2.0, and it is this version that I find to be so prone to freezing up. And, as I said in my last response, there's no way I'm going back as long as the Google toolbar for Firefox remains so primitive.

+