2005-10-23

One Upping

The food on campus is mediocre in quality and rather expensive, so I've made a habit of noting what looks good to me and then buying it (or its components) from the grocery store and preparing it myself.  I made my own version of the Studio Break cafeteria's "Mac & Cheese" this evening.  Interestingly enough, neither of us actually used macaroni.  They use small shells while I selected whole wheat penne rigate.  I don't know what went into their sauce, but I used butter, flour (half whole wheat, half unbleached all-purpose), salt, milk, cheese, and parsley.  I'm pleased with the way it turned out.  As a result of my do-it-myself approach to food, I've developed a reputation in the studio as being the most frugal as well as culinarily ambitious.  I think I like both reputations although I know I have a long ways to go to fulfill the latter.  Still, cooking has been a lot more enjoyable this year.  I think it serves as a nice change of pace from the architecture work, and its nice not having to please anyone but myself.  If I just had a dishwasher, it'd be a perfect pastime.

No comments:

+