2005-06-29

Botany refresher

Claire and I went to the Weisman Art Museum this morning. We went specifically to see Fresh Cuts, which was billed as "an international exhibition of the American Society of Botanical Artists." We both enjoyed it a great deal, and Claire helped me summon some botany terms from the dusty corners of my memory. I'd like very much to relearn what I knew in the fall of 2003, especially now that I'm so enthusiastic about someone who's enthusiastic about plant biology.

We both particularity appreciated a watercolor of rhubarb by Maine artist Hillary Parker. My favorite piece of the day, however, came from the West! Frank Gehry and the Artists of Venice Beach, 1962-1978 exhibit. Guy Dill's 1971 work Untitled (17 Wood Blocks), a fascinating sculpture held together by tension in the ropes and friction between the blocks.

Untitled (17 Wood Blocks)

1 comment:

Graif said...

Every day I walk past the former Elvehjem and I see that slab of granite cut from the name piece, and realize I still don't care.

+